Full course description
About This Course
The Online Home Buyer Education course will provide the tools and information to help you make wise financial decisions before, during, and after buying a home. Some of the topics that will be covered in the six units include:
- Assessing your readiness financially and emotionally to purchase a home
- Assembling a team of professionals to assist you in the purchase process
- Budgeting before and after purchasing a home
- Determining how much house you can afford
- Understanding credit scoring
- Finding the right home for you
- Making an offer to purchase
- Choosing a mortgage loan product
- Preparing to close on the home
- Navigating the closing process
- Home Maintenance
- Selling your home
- Resolutions for Mortgage Delinquency
- Preventing Foreclosure
Who is this course for?
This course is for first time homebuyers and repeat homebuyers who want to brush up on what has changed in the housing market since their previous purchase. This course is also available in Spanish at the following link: Educación para el Compradora de una Casa
- Cost: $60 for the first person. An additional household member may be added for $5 using a promo code. The first person must register, pay, log into the course and complete the "start here" section to receive the promo code. Instructions for registering the second person are provided within the course. Please note that each person who needs a certificate must register and complete the course individually, using their own email address and course log-in.
- Course Approval: This course is approved through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the USDA Office of Rural Development.
- Course Media: The course is accessible on various electronic devices including smartphones, tablets and computers.
- Certificate of Completion: A certificate of completion will be emailed upon completion of the course. It will also be available immediately through the course dashboard. Each person who needs a certificate must complete the course individually, using their own email address and course log-in.
- One-on-One Housing Counseling: Participants may receive free one-on-one housing counseling through our HUD-approved partner, Housing and Financial Counseling Services at the Utah State University Family Life Center. Instructions for scheduling an appointment will be provided at the end of the course. If you are using a loan or grant that requires one-one counseling, this appointment should satisfy those requirements.
Having trouble signing up for this course? View instructions on How to Enroll.
Have questions about course content, certification or counseling? Email email@example.com.
or call (801) 477-7391.
For Technical Support,contact the Support Hotline at (877) 428-4389. Mention that you are calling about a USU Extension Catalog course. You can also contact USU Extension Help Desk at ExtensionHelpDesk@usu.edu or
(435) 797-8459 during regular business hours.
Course OverviewCourse certification requires each participant to use their own personal email to register and complete the course.
- Cost: $60. Add an additional household member: $5. Please select the Course Details tab (to the left) for instructions to add an additional household member.
- Language: English
- Approval: HUD and USDA Approved Online Course
- Length: Approximately 4 hours. 6 learning modules which may be completed at your convenience.
- Course Media: Videos, Quizzes and Final Exam.
- One-on-One Housing Counseling: Please view Course Details on the left.
- Questions: For course content, certification, or counseling: Email firstname.lastname@example.org. For technical questions, email ExtensionHelpDesk@usu.edu